What is Albenza generic (albendazole)?
Albenza generic or Albendazole is a benzimidazole medication used to cure tapeworm infections. Belonging to a class of medications known as ‘Anthelmintic’, it works by preventing worms or newly formed insect larvae from growing and developing in human body.It is used to treat parasitic worm infections caused by dog tapeworm and pork tapeworm.Albenza generic is used for some other health-related issues which may or may not be listed in this guide.
What is the most important information I should know about Albenza generic (albendazole)?
Discontinue the consumption of Albenza generic if you are pregnant. If in case there is no substitute for this medication, consult your doctor about its consumption. Before using Albenza generic, you may be required to undergo a negative pregnancy test.
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking Albenza generic (albendazole)?
Do not consume Albenza generic if you are allergic to it or any of its ingredients, or to identical drugs like mebendazole (Vermox).
Before consuming Albenza generic, ensure safety of medication for you. Tell your doctor if you are suffering from:
- Any liver disease; or
- bone marrow suppression
FDA pregnancy category C: It is still under suspicion that whether Albenza generic causes any adverse effects on an unborn child. Discontinue the consumption of Albenza generic if you are pregnant. If in case there is no substitute for this medication, consult your doctor about its consumption. Before using the medicine, you must tell doctor about your pregnancy or your plans to conceive.While taking Albenza generic, use of effective birth control measure is recommended to prevent pregnancy. It must continue for at least one month after treatment ends.Before using Albenza generic, you may be required to undergo a negative pregnancy test.It is unclear whether Albenza generic excretes into breast milk or may harm a nursing baby. Inform your doctor if you are nursing a baby to avoid any serious health issue.
Albenza generic (albendazole) side effects
Do not consume Albenza generic if you are allergic to it or any of its ingredients. Albenza generic may result in respiratory problems, hives, severe swelling of your face, tongue, lips, or throat.
Seek medical advice if you suffer from:
- Bone marrow suspension or its symptoms – sudden weakness, bad feeling, sore throat, red or swollen gums, trouble in swallowing, chills, mouth sores, easy bruising and bleeding; or
- Any liver problems – nausea, itching, tiredness, upper stomach pain, dark-coloured urine, clay-colored stools, appetite loss, jaundice or yellowing of skin or eyes.
Other side effects are:
- Nausea, vomiting and stomach pain
- Spinning sensation, dizziness;
- Headache; or
- Temporary hair loss
Note: Apart from above mentioned, there are few other side effects of Albenza generic. If case you feel extremely unwell, medical discretion is required. You may report the matter to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 FREE
What happens if I miss a dose?
Take your missed dose of Albenza generic as soon as your remember it. Skip the missed dose if it is almost the time of your next intake. Intake of extra dosage in order to cover up the missed dose is not recommended.
What happens if I overdose?
In case of an overdose, call immediate medical help or call local poison help line at 1-800-222-1222 FREE
What should I avoid while taking Albenza generic (albendazole)?
While on this medication, avoid coming in contact with people who are sick, unwell or suffering from infections. Consult your specialist in case you develop any signs of infections.
How should I take Albenza generic (albendazole)?
- Follow medical prescription while using Albenza generic. Take the medicine as recommended. Do not increase or decrease the amount of dosage yourself.
- Take Albenza generic along with your meal orally.
- In case of a child or anyone who cannot swallow one complete tablet of Albenza generic, crush or chew the tablet and take it with a glass of water.
- Albenza generic can be given with some other medications to prevent its certain side effects, or certain effects which are the results of reduction of parasitic worms in your body.
- Apprise your doctor if you witness any change in your weight. Amount of Albenza generic doses are based on weight.
- Albenza generic should be consumed throughout the prescribed time. You may feel better before complete clearance of the infection in your body. Skipping your doses may increase your infection and can put you on danger side as the infection is resistant to antibiotics.
- Albenza generic should not be used for treating viral infections such as flu or common cold.
- Albenza generic can make your immune system weal. Hence it is advisable to go for regular blood tests, normally twice in a week to keep a check on liver infection.
Store at Room Temperature. Protect it from moisture and heat.
For Cutaneous Larva Migrans: This medication works. My parasitic infection reduced significantly and I faced no side effects. My BP was normal and Type 2 diabetes was not affected at all.
For Ascariasis: Works moderately well when taken for days exceeding 20. This medicine worked on my parasitic infection and yield best results. When taken with praziquantel, it works the best.