What is penicillin?
- Penicillin V is used as an antibiotic drug belongs to a group of penicillin.
- Penicillin V is used to fight with bacteria in the body
- Penicillin V is also used for the treat the infections caused by the bacterias such as ear infections.
- Penicillin V is also used for some other health-related issues which may or may not be listed in this guide.
Avoid taking Penicillin V if:
- You are allergic to penicillin V or any other antibiotics such as Amoxil, carbenicillin, oxacillin, Dicloxacillin,or ampicillin
- You are allergic to the drugs cephalosporins includes ceftin, duricef, ceclor, Keflex
- You have asthma, blood clot, kidney disorder, history of diarrhea because of using antibiotics or bleeding or any type of allergy.
- Penicillin V lessens the effects of birth control measures used for pregnancy control. Do consult your doctor about such situations.
- Take Penicillin V as recommended by your doctor, do not change the dosage on your own. Take it exactly as suggested even if the symptoms improved as a complete treatment is necessary to remove the infection from the root.
- Penicillin V is only for bacterial infection and should not be used for any viral infection such as flu or common cold.
- Penicillin V acts as an antibiotic. And some antibiotics could lead to diarrhea. If you detect any new infection or watery or blood in your stool, immediately rush to your doctor for medical help
- By the FDA pregnancy category B, Penicillin V is not estimated to be harmful to the fetus. Inform your doctor if you are on gestation or planning to get pregnant during the treatment. Penicillin V lessens the effects of birth control measures used for pregnancy control. Do consult your doctor about such situations
Penicillin V can enter into breast milk and could cause harm to the baby. Do not breast-fed during the treatment or stop the drug only after consultation of doctor.
Penicillin side effects
Immediate medical attention is required if you are allergic to Penicillin V or any of its ingredients. Symptoms may include hives, difficulty in breathing, swelling of face, lips, tongue or throat.
Consult your pharmacist under following circumstances:
- Watery or blood stools or diarrhea
- Fever,or flu symptoms
- Urination less than usual
- Agitation, behavior changes, memory loss
- Skin rash, itching on skin or peeling
- Loss of appetite or bleeding
Common Penicillin V side effects may include:
- Low dizziness
- Prickling or stinging sensation in your stomach; redness
- Weakness, headache or mood swings
- Nausea or indigestion
- Muscle cramps
- Cough & cold, sore throat or breathlessness
Apart from above mentioned, there are few other side effects of Penicillin V. If case you feel extremely unwell, immediate medical attention is required. You may report the matter to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What happens if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose then take it as soon as you remember it. Skip the missed dose you it is almost the time of your next intake. It is advisable not to take 2 doses at once.
What happens if I overdose?
In case of overdose, call medical help immediately or call Poison Helpline at 1-800-222-1222.
Overdose indications may include behavior changes, confusion,, urinating less than usual, a severe skin rash, or seizure
What should I avoid?
Penicillin V acts as an antibiotic. And some antibiotics could lead to diarrhea. If you detect any new infection or watery or blood in your stool, immediately rush to your doctor for medical help.
How should I take penicillin?
Follow doctorâ€™s prescription and every direction mentioned on prescription label while using Penicillin V. Do not increase or decrease the dosage on your own.
You can take penicillin V with or without meals.
During the Penicillin V, it is necessary to go for kidney or liver function test and blood tests at regular intervals.
Shake the liquid bottle of Penicillin V well before use. Take the correct dosage as prescribed by your specialist with the measuring cup comes with the drug. If you do not have one, ask from the nurse or pharmacist nearby you.
Take Penicillin V as recommended by your doctor, do not change the dosage on your own. Take it exactly as suggested even if the symptoms improved as a complete treatment is necessary to remove the infection from the root. Penicillin V is only for bacterial infection and should not be used for any viral infection such as flu or common cold.
Keep the drug at room temperature away from direct sunlight and moisture. Do not freeze the liquid bottle and throw the drug after 14 days, even if the drug is still in the bottle
Reviews for Penicillin
Review by Chrisabell
Penicillin VK (penicillin) for Strep Throat: completely removed my bacterial infection within few days, really happy with the drug.
Review by Jeff 72:
Penicillin VK (penicillin) for Pneumonia: my doc first suggested me amoxil but it was a very strong drug, I always felt sleepy after taking it. Than he switched me to penicillin V, really happy with the results.