What is Tegopen generic(cloxacillin)?
Cloxacillin is penicillin antibiotic that fights against bacterial infection in your body.
Cloxacillin is popularly used to treat staphylococcus infections.
Cloxacillin has several other uses not mentioned above.
What is the most important information I should know about Tegopen generic(cloxacillin)?
Cloxacillin may cause symptomatic relief even before the infection inside the body completely subsides. You must not discontinue cloxacillin before completing the medication course. Doing otherwise will cause recurrent infections resistant to antibiotic. Cloxacillin is ineffective for viral infections such as flu or common cold.
Cloxacillin extended-release tablet must be swallowed as a whole and not chewed, broken or crushed.
Cloxacillin reduces effectiveness of contraceptive pills. You must use non hormonal methods of contraception like vaginal diaphragm, condoms etc.
Who should not take Tegopen generic(cloxacillin)?
If you have history of allergy to penicillin antibiotics or cephalosporins, do not take unsupervised cloxacillin.
Keep your doctor informed about your medical conditions like renal disorder, GIT disorder, and infectious mononucleosis etc. Certian medical conditions may contraindicate the usage of cloxacillin.
Cloxacillin raises urine glucose levels which may yield false results in urine glucose lab tests, you must inform your doctor about usage of cloxacillin.
FDA pregnancy category B. Cloxacillin does not harm fetus but you must take this drug under medical supervision, when pregnant.
Cloxacillin excretion in breast milk is unknown, but you must consult your doctor if you want to breast feed when taking cloxacillin.
Tegopen generic(cloxacillin) side effects
If you experience any of the serious side effects of cloxacillin, you must stop intake of cloxacillin and seek medical help.
Symptoms of cloxacillin allergy may be shortness of breath, hives swelling of face, throat, lips or tongue, fainting or rash.
- extremely watery diarrhea
- abdominal cramps
- unusual bleeding or bruising.
Less serious side effects may be:
- mild nausea,
- abdominal pain;
- white patches on the tongue
- vaginal discharge, itching
- sore tongue, throat, mouth
What happens if I miss a dose?
- If you miss any dose you can take it when you remember but if its time for the next dose do not take double dose at single time.
- If you missed just one dose, continue to take the rest of the dosages at equal intervals.
What happens if I overdose?
- Contact poison helpline for drug overdose at 1-800-222-1222 FREE.
- Cloxacillin overdose symptoms may be muscle twitching, spasms, pain, sensory loss in digits, seizures, agitation, confusion or even coma.
What should I avoid while taking Tegopen generic(cloxacillin)?
- Alcohol and cloxacillin taken together may irritate gastric lining. Alcoholmust be avoided when taking cloxacillin.
How should I take Tegopen generic(cloxacillin)?
- You must follow the prescription instructions and take the medicine as prescribed by your doctor. Do not alter the dosage or duration of medication without seeking medical advice.
- Tegopen genericmust be taken with 1 full glass of water.
- Cloxacillin must be taken 1 hr. before or 2 hrs. after taking meal, i.e. empty stomach.
- Carbonated drinks and juices reduce effectiveness of cloxacillin, so you must not take them with this medicine.
- Cloxacillin must be taken at equal interval of time to maintain high dosage of cloxacillin in blood that could be effective enough on infection.
- Cloxacillin extended-release tablet must be swallowed as a whole and not chewed, broken or crushed.
- Cloxacillin oral suspension (liquid) must be shaken well before use and must be taken with food. You must measure the quantity of medicine with the proper device like dose measuring cup or spoon and not with the feeding spoon.Ã‚ If you don’t have the appropriate measuring device, you must buy one from the chemist shop.
- Store cloxacillin capsules and tablets in a dry, dark place at room temperature.Oral suspension of cloxacillin must be refrigerated but not frozen. Discard any unused medicine after 14 days.